Saturday, February 7, 2009

If you build it they will come.


I still think back to when we first stepped on to that overgrown, litter filled, and apparently neglected land and thought this is the land we are meant to buy? We claimed it, we raised money through the church, and we bought it for
Sandy Carter. We have sewn hundreds of man hours and tens of thousands of dollars into this grown up wasteland long forgotten by the residents of this impoverished area. One day a group of "Gringos" roll up and start cleaning and grooming this land, burning the trash, and prepping the land. All the Los Braslies children started curiously popping in to see what the strange group was doing.

We returned the next year and started to build a wall around the property. This is the first time we had ever met the Nicaraguan 100 pound blocks, our relationship with these blocks diminished within a few days. Today we all still have a sinking feeling in our stomachs when we see a truck load of those blocks drive by. We built a massive wall enclosing the property for security reasons.

The next trip, two years ago we built the feeding kitchen complete with concrete pad and roof for feeding. That was the last trip Brad Pope was able to go on before he got too sick. We miss you Brad, get well soon we are praying for you! Brad has served in the parking lot for years at The Rock and went on almost every Nica. trip, he is our block laying master.


As we were preparing to leave the property today for the last time on this trip. (Sigh) I started to reflect on the first time I stepped on to the property. I walked around the property and I dragged my hand along the wall as I remembered the blood, sweat, and tears. I walked to the back of the property I picked up some dirt and let it sift through my hand as remembered it was so overgrown and littered you could not see to the back as clearly. I stopped at the 20 foot deep septic hole the worker was laying block in and thought about how hard that dirt was and how a young boy and his father that lives in Los Brasiles were paid to dig a large portion of that by CIM and how that must have blessed that family.
I walked up to the house still in progress and touched the outside walls and walked inside and sat on the cool tile floor and leaned against the wall and thought, soon this house will be breathing life and spreading God's word. I closed my eyes and heard laughter, heard the words of the bible being read, I pictured hands being laid on children's heads as word of life were spoken over them, and I felt God's presence. I got up walked into the kitchen I slid my fingers along the stainless steel sink and I walked to the serving window and pictured flinging the metal doors open wide and calling out "Ven niƱos que es hora de comer!"
(Come children it is time to eat!) As I stepped out into the feeding area, I saw children flowing in through the gate with a bowl and cup in their hands, and I sat at the bench and watched as the children slowly chewed each bite while savoring the flavor. I just sat gazing into this beautiful and surreal vision as I heard "Hey Doug, vamos were leaving get in the van." 
Ayi yi yi!

What an amazing process to be involved in to see this property transformed by the love and compassion of people from a different country and culture to give there time, talents, and finances to make a difference in the lives of people that most have never met. I say may God bless you all, the builders, the sowers, and the intercessors you are all in your own way touching the lives of so many and will be for years to come.

Until next time...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is with tears of joy that I celebrate this with you! Praise God for all He is doing and will do at Los Brasilies!!! Hugs to all!

greg varney said...

geez doug, you have me all teary-eyed at work!

so beautiful!

can't wait to see it all again for myself this august!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that God can give us nothing and help you turn it into something that glorfies His Kingdom. ~W