Thursday, February 26, 2009

The end of an era

It was a beautiful sunny day on June 12th of 1999 as I walked on the McKinney-Salinas Honda's car lot. I, 26 years young strolled through the rows of shiny new cars, my heart about to leap from my chest as I thought I may take one of these home with me. The salesman helped me as we meticulously checked each one out and narrowing down the large inventory to a handful.

I had previously owned a Chevy Astro van, that I had bought solely for work and after leaving that job it had become my main source of transportation for years. It was a cargo van (nothing in the back) so I carpeted the floor and walls with purple carpet, put a couch in the back, lined the roof with black lights, installed sub woofers that would rattle your brains loose from your head, lowered it to the ground, and tinted the windows solid black. Back in the day that was a sweet ride, and that earned me the privilege to always be the driver where ever we went. "Well we could drive three cars... or Doug could drive." Yes you would be amazed at how many people could fit in that van, I know I was.

One of my biggest or should we say smallest objectives, was to get a small car. I wanted something where four could ride, but not comfortably and I wanted a four cylinder so it would force me to drive slower. So I was naturally drawn to the Honda Civic, I narrowed it down to this beautiful green one. At that point in time there were very few cars on the road that same color, boy did that change fast. The salesman opened the door and I sat down, aah she was beautiful. The smell was enchanting the dash and knobs were so clean and neat looking, the seats and floor mats were spotless. The salesman handed me the keys and I cranked her up to go for a test drive, as I looked down at the odometer it read 000004. and I smiled.


I bought that little green Honda that day, and have been driving it ever since. When the Honda was purchased I was an avid cigarette smoker, I made a vow with myself and the car that I would never smoke in her, and I have not. It was not easy, but that will power is what I believe ultimately led to my ability to quit several years later. I lived in Gastonia at the time and drove to Charlotte everyday for work, so we spent quite a bit of time together each day. When I eventually got transferred to Asheville I commuted several weekends, and then I loaded her to the gills and moved up here permanently.

My Honda has seen me through some major life changes, we used to stay out all night on Saturday nights, now were in early on Saturday nights for church on Sundays. She was there when I brought my dog Manna home for the first time, and since that time her passenger window has forever been slobbery. Over two and a half years ago I turned the Honda over to my wife to drive whilst I drove the work vehicles. I'm sure the Honda appreciated that move because my wife drives her easier, and smells better than I do.


I took a look at my Honda today and the odometer reads 132500. a far cry from 1999. One hundred and thirty-two thousand miles together, and it seems nothing short of a million. I have always been easy on the mileage because most of the time I have had a second car or work vehicle. The paint is beginning to fade on the windshield wipers, and few small dings here and there, the carpet is beginning to show some wear, but don't get me wrong she looks great for her age. My wife and I cleaned her out last night and I will drive her through the car wash for the last time on Friday. As of tomorrow she is sold, and will have a new owner. Ruth and I have had to tighten things up recently, and this was not a decision either one of us wanted to make. We know that God is taking us through a season where we are trimming all the fat, and making tough decisions and sacrifices that will ultimately help us to build the incredible future He has promised us.

With all that said it will still be a sad day tomorrow as I watch a stranger drive off with my beloved Honda Civic. Sigh. What keeps me going is the dream of the day we get to walk on to the Apple Tree Honda's car lot and test drive our next car the CRV. Then begins a new era (that will most likely have children in it.) Sigh.

Until next time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

New wine sacks for new wine. The only way to fly. ~W

adamandjeremy said...

not to sound overly manly or anything, but you're talking about a honda civic...i could understand the sentimental value if it was your first truck or something, but its a CIVIC for crying out loud.

not like we can talk much because adam and jeremy have been known to both drive wimpy sedans.

Unknown said...

Oh where, oh where has the dougblog gone???