Monday, June 15, 2009

Southport, England

We have been staying in Southport with Ruth's Mum and Dad, David and Margaret King, it's been lovely catching up with them. Yesterday morning we got up and went out for a half hour run, trying to burn off some of the lovely British food we've had since arriving. One thing I have found quite difficult is to remember to look to the right first before crossing an intersection. A lesson learned the hard way and rather quickly if you're not careful! I have been careful and mostly lucky, so no major accidents only a few horns and hand gestures that I'm sure mean "Welcome to England". I've been getting around well, I've brushed up a lot on my English so people seem to understand what I am saying to them much better. The Rosetta Stone program is paying off, but by far the most helpful has been watching the Austin Powers movie marathons. 8-)

We went into town to meet up with a friend of Ruth's from University, Emma. We met up in Starbucks for a bit of catching up. Jon asked me the other day, does it feel different being in England? I told him "Yes it constantly feels different, I never forget and think I'm in America again". The only exception is when I walk in to a Starbucks and it feels, looks, and smells exactly the same as in America, until the baritsta says “You alright mate” or “You want CREAM in your coffee?” then I snap back into reality. I have been busy introducing the Brits in Starbucks to an Iced Americano, four shots over a cup of ice. They all seem to respond the same way... You want what? Sometimes I feel like the Secretary of State with all this international diplomacy, but its worth it because I feel coffee will eventually bring the world together in perfect harmony. Until then, cuppa tea anyone?

Stay tuned for more from “The Hutchins European Vacation.”

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miss you guys!
-Ted